Friday, July 20, 2007

ETD: 9 Days

It's almost time.

I'll be departing for Japan a week from Saturday, and there's little left to do:

1. omiyage: The Japanese give gifts. Often. My predecessor recently thanked me for existing because his (soon to be my) classes have been busy preparing gifts for my arrival. I need to do the same. First purchase (thanks to mom) was a batch of Coca-Cola gummy candies.

2. indoor/outdoor shoes: Notice the specific use of backslash over hyphen. Shoes that are worn outside cannot be worn inside. Shoes that are worn inside cannot be worn outside. How ever will I match my outfit?

3. get my cash on: I am somewhat convinced that no one knows anything. I called a branch of my bank to ask how I'd get my hands on some Japanese yen.
"Come in to any branch," the nice man said. "Or, better yet, there's an American Express store across the street."
Whaa? You don't want my business? My own bank? I called another branch closer to my home.
"You should call the 1-800 number," the nice lady said.
"1-800..."
"Wachovia."
See: I know nothing.
"Is that easier than coming in?" I asked.
"Yes, because we'd have to call anyway."
Sigh.

No comments: