Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I already used that festivus quote.


An Irish guy in a samurai suit? It's a little too Heroes (season two, chapter I) for my taste. So blame Dave for being a walking, Japan-flag wielding NBC cliche. And it doesn't take a Japanese history major to notice that his hat is totally pre-Shingen. Wee-ooo, wee-ooo, wee-ooo. Here comes the anachronism police!

Sunday in Nirasaki, muskets were fired. How else do you celebrate the homecoming of Takeda Shingen's son? The musket men (musketeers?) were surrounded by a few policemen standing in a rectangle with rope stretched taut around their behinds. They moved as the procession processed. A dog yelped after each shot. (Speaking of dogs, Lauren mentioned never seeing a mutt in the two months we've been in Japan. I'd agree. Either there are some serious breeding/spading/neutering requirements in this country or Bob Barker is a god here. Neither would surprise me.)

Some highlights:

An old man cut me in the snowcone line to buy snowcones for his grandchildren. Ethicist, what say you?

Seth bought a frozen, chocolate-covered banana only to discover the banana was room-temperature and the chocolate was some sort of waxy, choco-substitute. I'd buy him four more just to hear him complain.

Even at festivals where people are constantly buying crap, there's still no trash cans! Double you tee eff.

Lauren bought a crepe the size and shape of the Olympic torch. The "fire" was whipped cream! Remember Whatizit aka Izzy? Double you izit!

The largest spider I've ever seen (outside of a zoo) was spinning a web between trees that were about six feet apart. I do not have a picture of this. I will never have a picture of this. I cannot sleep because of this.

No comments: