Friday, August 3, 2007

So many lights

Not a ton to report today. I did some supermarket shopping and checked out the electronics store.

I picked up some Udon and visited the ingredients aisle to try to find that lovely sauce typically used to douse the noodles. Everything looked like regular soy sauce, so I asked a lady. I pointed at different bottles and said "Udon?" The woman found a bottle and said "Water. Mix." She pointed at a chart on the back that read 1 -- 1, so I'll try an even mix. I also got some sushi for 780 yen. It was remarkable, though the package contained no wasabi. Weh-sabi.

The electronics store was exactly what I thought it would be. Crazy sounds and colors coming at you from every direction.

I ran into another JET, Lauren, who was trying to set up her internet. She passed a laptop back and forth with the clerk, typing into the babelfish translator. I wonder if she got hooked up. I was actually pretty shocked to see her, since I have no idea who is close to me. People are probably still trying to get their internet and cell phone set up, and the directory given to us at orientation is a little misleading. It lists people by what school they are teaching at, not where they live. So according to the map, no one teaches in my city, not even me. There must be a better way.

I forgot to mention the best thing about my bike in yesterday's post: the name. Whereas my last bicycle was called "The Pickle," my Japanese bike is called "Nice Friend."

1 comment:

Waylo said...

Dad always wanted you to get and to know about your "nice friends." Now you have one to satisfy his endless curiosity.