Friday, November 2, 2007

Amy hit the atmosphere

A few weeks ago, Amy from college visited. She teaches English in Tokyo, and she was looking for an escape from the city lights. It reminded me a lot of Kurt Russell in Escape From New York, only I've never seen the movie and don't know what I'm talking about. We did go to a pub quiz in Otsuki.

Now here's the thing about trivia. People think I am good at trivia. Is it the glasses? The two years spent working in the music industry? I am not good at trivia. But I did own the one round devoted to identifying album covers by name and artist. Licensed To Ill? Why not? We finished in third place and took home an assortment of fireworks. (The "Russian Cracker" firework might be the first instance where removing "fire" makes something more dangerous.) I won a block puzzle which now rests on my kotatsu. I see it staying there for a while.

On the train back west, a large man lit a sparkler. People did not like this. When we exited the train, someone kicked her shoes onto the tracks. It was funny. It was funnier when she followed the train station attendant and repeatedly bowed to him as they walked. It's exactly what the Japanese would do, other than the whole kicking-the-shoes-onto-the-train-tracks -in-the-first-place part.

On Sunday we made mashed potatoes. We made them for both lunch and dinner, as per a craving conversation from the night before. I am currently compiling a list of things to do when I return to America. On a sublist of that list is restaurants or foods that I miss. It is a long sublist. When I return to America, I will eat fatty, delicious American food for several weeks. Who is with me?

I didn't think my cravings were too bad until I saw this online and actually wanted it. (Thank you, John Carroll, for that.) Not that I can't get McDonald's here. But I go at least once a week to treat myself. And I know what you're thinking. But no, it's not what you're thinking. It's not amazing sushi for every meal. It's not geisha serving me green tea ice cream. It's corn and mayonnaise... pizza.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happened to the story of X? Is she a thin skin youg lady? Or is there internet censorship in Japan too?

will I be procecuted if I say MacDonald triple decor in this blog?

Uncle

John said...

I'm glad I could bring you McDonald's Pizza. It's what my blog is for.

Lo said...

the story of X will return at another time. i need to compile more data.

i wish my mcdonalds burger had three decks.

Anonymous said...

Kevin:

Thsi is a good blog that a fried told me about. I think you will liek it.

Uncle

Anonymous said...

http://www.gadling.com/2007/11/02/big-in-japan-how-to-cure-a-hangover/

Uncle

Lauren said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lauren said...

Let's see if imbedding the URL works.
Ahem.

This picture is all that keeps me going some days.

Lauren said...

Let's see if I know how to spell embedding.